Weird device name and serial number

Have you ever seen this:
It is the first time it happens to my BlinkStick Pro…

Weird name in DropDown and Serial Number: K ?!?

Serial number is in EEPROM. What do you have connected to the device?

BlinkStick Pro. It is the attiny, I think it´s gone. I´ve changed it from my second BlinkStick Pro and it works again. Do you think I can rescue it?

Edit: Sorry, about your question: I´ve connected a LED adapter.

Did you connect the LED adapter while BlinkStick was plugged into USB or power was supplied to the LED adapter?

Nope, this is never a good idea :slight_smile:

Hmmm… the EEPROM seems have been corrupted. It’s where BlinkStick stores the serial number. Do you remember anything specific you were doing when this happened? There are a few more customers with this issue and I would like to get to the bottom of this. :smiley:

When it happens i´ve plugged in a USB stick and start formatting it… While doing this LED adapter with a IKEA Dioder was connected. Maybe it formats the attiny by mistake :smile:

Hmm… this is very strange! I’ll need to test this and see if I can reproduce this issue.

OK, I will help if I can. One BlinStick Pro to burn left! :laughing:
Do you think the attiny is beyond all repair or will I have a chance to reset it with a programmer?

I think that if you had a programmer, you should be able to reflash the EEPROM.

I will give it a try. Have a USBtinyISP. I think I will find out how to connect and programm the tiny, otherwise you will read from me :wink:

Hey @arvydas.
I´ve downloaded the last firmware from github and was able to compile it with a hex file as result. Also my make depoly running for a while but then it throws the following message:

ruby increment.rb D:/Ruby22/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- wo_oo/util/hex (LoadError)
    from D:/Ruby22/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
    from increment.rb:3:in `<main>'make: *** [increment] Error 1

Any idea?

I was able to upload the firmware with avrdude without any errors. But it seems to be the wrong firmware, could that be?

Will catch up with you in a bit. Did you upload the Pro firmware?

No, got it from here: BlinkStick | Download Firmware Source Code
And that was excactly my fault :stuck_out_tongue:

It works again, but I have still no serial. It looks like: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Everything else seem to be ok!

You need to upload the EEPROM, that’s done via make defaults, but you need to get ruby installed and have serial.txt with number 0 in it :smile:

OK, i think I came to the point where my knowledge is not sufficient…
I always thought the eeprom.hex is a snapshot of the attinys EEPROM. But if the EEPROM (with serial and stuff) lost it´s data where can I get an eeprom.hex then?
I have a serial.txt and I have the latest windows ruby intepreter but I think I need this eeprom.hex first because avrdude always give me a “can´t open… eeprom.hex”

Edit: But this is general microprocessor knowledge, I have to find out myself :slight_smile:

I dumped the eeprom of my second BlinkStick Pro attiny and used it for the missing eeprom.hex. The Pro is now fully functional again but I´m not sure if this is the right way. But finally it works again :smile:

Hi,ive the same problem,could you possibly send me dump of your eeprom,ime not techy enough to do it all from scratch etc,thanks

Please find my eeprom dump here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19452479/eeprom.zip
But I think it has the same serial. So you/we cannot use it for remote control :wink:

1 Like