Some questions about the blinkstick flex

WS2812 are LEDs with serial interface, they have an ability to be controlled individually. 5050 is more package type for LEDs, just describes the size of the LED component. WS2812 are actually 5050, but they are different to standard RGB LEDs, because they have digital controller inside each of them and basic 5050 RGB LEDs just have pins for separate R, G and B LEDs inside of them.

Sounds good so far.

Is it as simple as cutting the WS2812 strip and then connecting 3 wires to the soldering points?

Is it difficult to remove the plastic to get to the connection points?

I have purchased a flex controller! Super excited

The connection points are exposed and itā€™s just a matter of using some solder and wire to reconnect everything. Really really easy :smile:

Thanks for your purchase! You order will be shipped on Tuesday, because itā€™s Easter bank holiday weekend and Royal Mail needs to restā€¦ :mailbox_with_mail:

Thanks! I might be purchasing some more of your products for work. We build a CRM management system and use it ourselves to manage support. Might see if I can use it to notify me when I get an email

Email notifications are already part of BlinkStick Client application. You can download the latest RC release here in the forums.

BlinkStick Square with enclosure is great for notifications in the office :wink:

Hi,

Just wanted to check if my order had been despatched? I was unsure if Iā€™d receive an email or not when it was despatched.

Thanks,

Aidan

It was bank holiday Friday and this Monday, so itā€™s being dispatched today. You should receive it tomorrow :smiley:

Great, we had spoke previously so I knew it wasnā€™t to be sent until today. Iā€™m just very excited to begin playing with it, and wanted to double check!

Thanks again

Youā€™ll get an email notification when itā€™s dispatched :smile:

Hi Arvy,

My blinkstick just arrived! Thank you for the free upgrade to 1st class delivery, much appreciated!

Iā€™ll have hours of fun tinkering with it Iā€™m sure! :slight_smile:

Hi again,

I am having an issue with

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

Iā€™ve tried the trouble shooting tips that someone posted here and on other websites but I canā€™t get it to function, iā€™m out of ideas.

Do you have LEDs connected?

Yeah, I do. Iā€™ve managed to make my PC recognise the controller now. But I have a new issue that I cannot control the lights, they flash once when you plug the flex into power but cannot be controlled after then

I just undid all my soldering and the gnd solder contact on the flex is no longer present. Could that be causing this issue?

I cannot reconnect to the gnd solder point now, so Iā€™m thinking it must of been that not allow me to control the LEDs? Not sure what to do now :ā€™(

The solder point is not present anymore? What have you done with your device? This only happens if you do a too hot solderingā€¦ IĀ“m sad to say but you need the GND. Maybe you could get luck with soldering it at the front nearby the components. But if the solder point is already gone then you could have destroyed the components, too :confused:

It was connected strongly for a while then when I looked next it had come off. Think I might have better luck with the flex with pre attached LEDs haha

Hi, my computer and the blinkstick software still recognizes the blinkstick. Where should I solder it if I want to do it ā€œat the front nearby the componentsā€?

You got me thereā€¦
My flex is prebuild with a LED strip, so I cannot see the componentsā€¦
Maybe @arvydas could deliver a high resolution picture of a flex which shows the right placeā€¦ if it is really possible to solder it at the front!