MAC OS X Support

Has anyone actually managed to get blinksticks/strips working on MAC OS X?
Website claims its supported, but either instructions are incorrect, out of date, libraries have wrong dependancies etc. I was trying to install the Node.js library from npm.

Even the Raspberry Pi installation was not straightforward.

thanks

Andrew

Hi @andrew1,

Welcome to the forums! The BlinkStick Node package has been updated to 1.1.3 and now should install. Please do

npm install blinkstick

and let me know if you find any issues.

Arvy

Yeah, I did it just earlier today. Usually I work in linux but since we were celebrating something I brought my Flex and wrote a small python script on my sister’s macbook that I named partymode. Worked exactly the same as on my linux desktop.

I don’t like to run a python script from terminal each time I boot my Mac. I’d like to see a menubar application (for OS X) to enable/disable remote control, run scripts and turning off blinkstick. Would that be possible?

@ioakar0 yes, this will be possible very soon. Porting BlinkStick Client application to OSX after RC6 release.

1 Like

UPDATE: 01/05/16

I left a pretty unfair comment to this answer out of frustration and need to clarify my position.

a. No it did not work initially for me using the app BUT Arvydas did reply in a timely manner to my email first and then here. It is already at a place that some or most functionality is possible and Arvydas has already reproduced the error. It’s not a 1 minute solution and I need to remember that.

b. Maybe I should learn Python? I now see an opportunity whereas before I only saw frustration and a non working app.

c. The app does need some documentation. I think it should be interactive like current mobile, tablet and certain desktop walkthroughs but I’m biased since I do prototyping with Principle, Proto.io and Invision.

So it appears the app does work but has a few bugs. However if Arvydas is as committed to the app as he is in helping me fix this issue things will get better. My apologies for being so quick to condemn the app and his efforts.

@steve1 I replied to your email with instructions on how to send me the logs. Hope that we can resolve this quickly :smiley:

Hi Arvydas. I’ve sent over the requested logs. Thank you.