IKEA light, different wiring


#1

I bought a blinkstick pro 1.0 , to drive my IKEA lights.

All went well until I opened the case of the IKEA controller.
The layout did not match the one on the blinkstick website.

My layout is here: https://goo.gl/photos/kLRXYv9QxAS8xjc38


#2

Welvome to the forums!

Yep, IKEA changed the wiring a few times. Please take a look at this thread, hope it helps:


#3

Ahh, I guess my problem was not clear. I ws trying to follow the instructions here:

blinkstick.com/help/build —> blinkstick.com/help/build-pro-1-0 --> blinkstick.com/help/tutorials --> https://blinkstick.com/help/ikea-dioder-blinkstick-pro-ambilight

…which is very odd. A couple of days ago this had a photo of a board totally unlike mine. Today the board at this URL seems to be exactly like mine!! ?

All I can guess is is the site got updated?

Any how I’m still a little confused, by this new diagram.

Now the “new” resistors are in-line in the wires. This leaves just one end free. If I remove the circuit board resistors, I’ll have two free ends , which one to I attach the wire to?


#4

Hey Graeme,

with cutting off the resistors you “deactivate” the IKEA controller and bring in the BlinkStick controller. So yes, that will leave one end open for any color. Now your BlinkStick controls the transistors.

I do not remember the “old” illustrations but basicly it have been the same only for another IKEA controller board type.

You have to attach the wires excactly to where it is illustrated.


#5

Sadly the solder pads detached (clumsy me) so I ended up attaching to the legs (of transistors?) … amazingly it all works! … golly , thanks for everyone’s help (esp. the new images)

I’m trying to work out the API now, I have a blinkstick square daemon , which waits for file changes. I’m trying to extend it to support both square and IKEA . Looks like they are two different modes . I managed to get it to change the IKEA light (but not set inverse mode etc) . What I can’t figure out if what sort of device is plugged in. I’m guessing there is some query I could issue.


#6

Hey Graeme,

if you´re talking about the .NET API take a look at the 2 solutions in this thread:


#7

Nope, the daemon I wrote runs on a Linux server. It’s in “Pure C”


#8

I’ve re-based my code in the (rather nice) library : https://github.com/thejk/libbs
I think this provides an “interesting” way to handle this situation. It always sets index=0 using the "old API"
and 1-7 using the new API … since the “old API” only has index=0 it works for old and new devices.

BTW. My terms “old” and “new” may not be correct, I’m just trying to reverse engineer based on what the code does, I’ve never seen any punished API. (for the hardware)