IKEA dioder inaccurate color representation

Thank you Arvy for a great idea and product!

I ordered a blinkstick pro to use with an ikea dioder. I forgot to hook it up to ground and didnt notice for a couple of hours. With no connection to ground it behaved a little strange, where it only displayed brightly when the colors on the screen were very dominant and it was kinda flickering dimly the rest of the time (which really isn’t weird considering it had no reference to ground). I then soldered a connection to ground. The light intensity increased noticeably, but the colors are now less accurate than with no ground (ex. green is still in the “green category”, but i can tell something’s not right!)

Do you think I may have shorted something? I was fiddeling with the ground cable while the blinkstick/dioder was up and running… probably not the best idea. I tried disconnecting the ground again to see if it would work the same as in the beginning, and it did.

Thanks for your kind words :smile:

You need to set BlinkStick Pro to inverse mode. Did you do that? What are you using to control BlinkStick?

I did set it to inverse mode. It seems like there’s too much blue in the “colormix”. When open a fullscreen ms paint window and trying out different colors, it handles blue very well, but red and green is more washed out.

Do you mean what my computerspecs are? I have an i5 2500k, amd radeon 6970, running windows 7, blinkstick client 1.0.3
I’m also experiencing some choppiness and lag while running the client, as I read about in another post. Is 1.0.3 the latest version?

Yes, 1.0.3 is currently the latest version. 2.0 will be released tomorrow with DirectX capture support which is a lot faster.

If you go to BlinkStick -> Test on the main menu of the client and select basic colors (red, green and blue) does the LED strip light up with correct colors?

When I test the different colors I get a flicker with the right color for a split second (I cant get it to stay on, but at least i’m seeing the right color for a short time). Also tried running the client as admin to see if it would help.

Do you have some basic LEDs to connect BlinkStick Pro to test if the chip is not damaged?

This tutorial shows an RGB LED, but you can connect the same way some simple single color LEDs too:

I’m studying EE, so I think i can get some at my uni. Will try doing it over the weekend.

Ok, please let me know how it goes.