Connect BlinkStick Pro to basic RGB LED

You can connect a basic RGB led to BlinkStick Pro. The schematics above is for common anode LED. Set BlinkStick Pro mode to 0.

You can use the schematics below for common cathode LED.

Set BlinkStick Pro mode to 1 for this setup.

Use 330 Ohm current limiting resistors.

The schematic looks like Fritzing to me. Is there a Fritzing library for your products? Maybe it´s a good idea for your download section if so.

It is Fritzing and I do have BlinkStick Pro and Smart Pixel schematics. I haven’t released them yet, because they are not finished. Just the breadboard bit works great, because I needed it for tutorials. I will clean them up and release on Github.

1 Like

Will this work with strips too? I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Strip-Billboard-Commerce-Advertise-Media-TV-PC-Lighting-USB-RGB-Controller-/251498938633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a8e814109 5v USB RGB LED strip that I want to install in my computer case with the BlinkStick.

I may have a product soon that connect directly to computer case and draws power from computer’s PSU. I really can’t comment on this one, because it looks a bit strange. The LEDs are 12V and they are connected to 5V power supply via USB. This doesn’t look right…

I ordered a 100cm strip and it worked perfectly with the BlinkStick Pro! No extra power needed. I also used some 4 pin female connectors to make the BlinkStick fully modular.

Are you driving LEDs directly from BlinkStick Pro?

Yes. No extra power-source needed.

Please keep in mind that BlinkStick Pro can not sustain the high current required by LEDs and it may fail if you don’t use a MOSFET or transistors for each LED channel.

https://www.blinkstick.com/help/tutorials/blinkstick-pro-modes

The tutorial in that link shows the Blinkstick Pro modes to be different. In that tutorial the mode 0 is for common cathode and mode 1 for common anode.

I built my own Blinkstick Pro and it is behaving like the tutorial in this thread. The normal mode (0) with common cathode led configuration behaves wierdly. Seems like with the inverse mode the leds are lit correctly.

@jaisoh put it in normal mode and rewire the led so the colors are correct,thgats what i did.