BlinkStick Strip and Flex capabilities

Is it possible to add new LEDs on to a BlinkStick Strip? If it makes a difference, I’m trying to make a kind of backlit monitor music visualizer with the strip. But if it’s not possible with the strip then I’ll probably see if I can wrap my head around a BlinkStick Pro but I’d like to test the waters before diving in headfirst since I only have experience with visualizing music and not LEDs or any electronics for that matter.

Slightly related, how many LEDs can the BlinkStick Flex/Flex Board control? Is it just 32, the same number the full BlinkStick Flex comes with out of the box? Can you buy a second strip of WS2812 LEDs and add them on to the end of the strip on the Flex? Are the LEDs the Flex comes with WS2812’s?

Thanks in advance,
Diff

1 Like

The product information says: Up to 32 LEDs.

https://www.blinkstick.com/products/blinkstick-flex

1 Like

@diff Flex can control up to 32 LEDs. This is due to the fact that USB can provide up to 500mA of power so it’s only safe to power 8 LEDs at full brightness. BlinkStick Flex has 32 LEDs so it automatically adjusts the power and limits the brightness to about 25% in order not to draw more than 500 mA from USB. Even if you connect more LEDs to the Flex it will not control them.

If you want to control up to 192 LEDs at full power, then BlinkStick Pro is the best option. There is a tutorial on how to wire it all up:

https://www.blinkstick.com/help/tutorials/blinkstick-pro-adafruit-neopixel-strips

2 Likes
p0ke wrote: The product information says: Up to 32 LEDs.
Nice, I must have glossed over that part.
arvydas wrote: If you want to control up to 192 LEDs at full power, then BlinkStick Pro is the best option. There is a tutorial on how to wire it all up:

BlinkStick | BlinkStick Pro and Adafruit NeoPixel strips

Awesome, thanks for the link.

And thanks for putting up with all my questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any code for the BlinkStick Strip? Doesn’t seem to be much on the wiki for the strip code and I’m at a loss on how to engage with the device from my computer.