Blinkstick not being recognized

I have the Blinkstick Pro and I am trying to get some WS2812B to work with it.

I dont know what the heck i am doing wrong.

1. I plug up the Pro to the usb port on computer. Computer responds with “USB device not recognized.” The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
  2. I hook up the wires for 5v to 5v, Grnd to Grnd, and DI to Red - 26 lights come on - bright white with the last one a yellow/green. Computer responds with “USB device not recognized.” The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

After plugging in and out over and over - it finally says that if recognized the blink stick.

BlinkStick 2.0-rc8 shows on Overview
No picture
Connected: Yes
Product: Unknown
Serial Number : its a box with 2 grey “ro” listed
Manufacturer: Agile Innovative Ltd
Mode: RGB

What am I doing wrong???

Now its not recognizing the device again

Can you upload a picture of how you connected it?

better resolution

And again - after a lot of in an out, it recognizes the usb, Same lights light up and product is not detected in client.

Here are all of them with the lights showing

The problem is that you are supplying 5V to the BlinkStick and LED strip. Your computer will not like this as you are feeding back 5V to the USB controller.

Please see the tutorial below on how to connect:

https://www.blinkstick.com/help/tutorials/blinkstick-pro-adafruit-neopixel-strips

Note that 5V pin on BlinkStick Pro is not connected, only the GND pin is common to external power supply, BlinkStick Pro and LED strip.

I have done both options, One where the Blinkstick is only supplying power and the other where only the external is applying power. From the pictures you have seen - I am only sending power from the Blinkstick to the lights. If you look at the 3rd picture you will see the external power supply is not hooked up.

When I use only external power - i get the same results.

Hello? Can you help? I am thinking there is something wrong with the Blinkstick.

How long should I normally wait for a response?

Will try to be quick now :blush:

First of all, you can only control up to 8 LEDs if you supply power from the USB and not from the external power supply. There is a limit of 500 mA on each USB port and if you draw more power, USB port will shut off.

Did you change the BlinkStick PRO mode to Multi-LED?

I did not change the Blinkstick Pro to Multi-LED because there was no documentation about that. Could you tell me how?

Thank you very much

Corey

On the client application overview page next to the serial number selector there is a gear icon button. Click it and you will be able to change the mode there.

Yea that doesn’t work. The client software has everything greyed out except for luminosity, which doesn’t change. Also the Client software doesn’t recognize the device, nor gives a serial number, as I indicated above.

BlinkStick 2.0-rc8 shows on Overview
No picture
Connected: Yes
Product: Unknown
Serial Number : its a box with 2 grey “ro” listed
Manufacturer: Agile Innovative Ltd
Mode: RGB

I truly believe there is something wrong with the stick. Especially since it takes several several times of unplugging and plugging into the USB connector for it to be seen.

Corey

Ok, will send you a new chip tomorrow with instructions how to replace it.

Got the Blinkstick chip in yesterday. Took many tries of inserting USB, not being recognized, pulling it out, putting it back in, waiting until FINALLY the device is found. (That tells me there is something wrong with the board also.) BUT once it was recognize, YES! The client saw the chip and I was able to change settings. I changed it to Multi-LED and I can now change 1 single light via Change Color. Under settings it has R64, G64, B64 - but when I change the numbers still only the first light stays lit.

So how do I get all the lights lit? Or to follow the patterns on the client?

Light up all the LEDs of the same color is grayed out.

Hello? Any help please?

Afaik you can´t set more than one LED for a blinkstick pro with the BlinkStick Client. Well yes, the options suggest that but I´ve never got it to run. But the chips working well if you program it with python, c# or whatever.

Edit: One idea to this case: You already have set your settings to multi LEDs and have given the amount of LEDs for the channel. You also need to set the LEDs in the notification event itself. Maybe this could help.