BlinkStick AmbiLight - A real AmbiLight for Flex and Pro

I´ve uploaded the last sources to github today. Not optimized and not well commented but feel free to take a look at it:

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Hmm, as for me i can not even seem to open the software, it will open as a process and end after 1-2 seconds running.
Very strange.

Hey Arno,

somehow nothing works for you :cry:

Could you please unzip the following file and copy it to the BilnStickAmbiLight main folder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19452479/BlinkStickAmbiLight.exe.zip

Start BSAL then and see if a .log file will be written to the main folder. Tell me if you can find something useful in it.

All i get from the log is

2017-01-31 15:27:09,106 [1] INFO BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - Starting BlinkStick Ambilight v.1.0.3.0
2017-01-31 15:27:09,961 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.
2017-01-31 15:27:10,062 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.

But in all honestly it’s not such a big a deal if this does not work and no need to investigate it till the end!
the only small problem is that ever since i tested this my previous Blinkstick Client has stopped working correctly, as a matter of fact i can’t get a single color out of it, everything is a low brightness red and doesn’t last longer then a second now :frowning:

See my entry here:

Maybe this could be your problem.

I really want to investigate, I´ve developed it for usage :smile:
But I think it can only work for adressable LEDs and it always needs at least mode 2. I should add some more infos to the specs.

Alright will check it out thank you for the quick response! Really appreciate it!

Hey Arno,
me again.

I think there is a problem with DirectX at your system. Arvys BlinkStick Client and also my BlinkStickAmbiLight using DirectX for calculating the average colors of the screen regions. So you could run DXDiag and check if there is something wrong or which version of DirectX you´ve installed.
I´ve also build a temporary version of the BSAL:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19452479/BlinkStickAmbiLightDebug.zip
This version should write some more information into the logfile (if the problem is DirectX) and it does not change the mode of your device.
Just replace the .exe in the BSAL main folder.
Well, it will not make the BSAL work for you withoit addressable LEDs but it could help for the general problem you seem to have with Ambilights based on DirectX.

Try it only if you like.

I just tested it and i do get a DirectX related error now it seems

2017-02-02 13:28:34,654 [1] INFO BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - Starting BlinkStick Ambilight v.1.0.3.0
2017-02-02 13:28:35,578 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.
2017-02-02 13:28:35,680 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.
2017-02-02 13:28:35,785 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - [DirectX GetScreenImage] - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL: Invalid call (-2005530516)

I’m assuming i would have to update my DirectX then, but what version should i update?
Also, might this be the problem i cannot get the newest client to work?

Thanks for your time by the way!

P.S.: I might make a small post regarding a few questions i have about those addressable leds.

I would recommend DirectX 12, regarding to your system.
You can check your currently installed DX with Run -> DXDiag

Well my DXDiag says i’m currently running DirectX 12.

Hmmm… can you tell me how many screens and what screen resolution your using?

I’m using 2 monitors, a 1080p, 60hz monitor (secondary) and a 1440p, 60hz monitor as my main monitor.

OK, another try. I´ve extended the log by some info about the screens.
Please replace the BlinkStickAmbiLight.exe again and start the Tool.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19452479/BlinkStickAmbiLightDebug.zip
Post the log part with the informations about your screens.

I am really sorry for the long wait, I had quite the busy week.

I have done this and this is my current log:

2017-02-09 14:12:55,966 [1] INFO BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - Starting BlinkStick Ambilight v.1.0.3.0
2017-02-09 14:12:55,984 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - Screen (\.\DISPLAY1) Resolution: 2560 / 1440
2017-02-09 14:12:55,985 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - Screen (\.\DISPLAY2) Resolution: 1920 / 1080
2017-02-09 14:12:56,974 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.
2017-02-09 14:12:57,075 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - GetFeature failed.
2017-02-09 14:12:57,178 [1] DEBUG BlinkStickAmbiLight.MainForm [(null)] - [DirectX GetScreenImage] - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL: Invalid call (-2005530516)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping :smile: :+1:
Well, I think it could have to do with the resolution. Maybe the method I use does not work with “high” resolutions. Cannot test it at the moment.
I hope @arvydas has an idea on this… I think it will be the same problem in the BlinkStick Client.

Alright, if ever you have an idea about it let me know! Thanks anyways!

OK, I´ve now got the chance to test with a higher solution. My experience is that it works well.

So there must be another constellation leading to the problem you have. I really don´t know where to look yet…

Edit: Testen BlinkStick Client also, no problem there.

Hmm alright, well, I will test the BlinkStick Client later today, maybe a couple of software updates later it might work.

Thank you for the response it is good to know that it is not a resolution related issue.

I’m having the same issue. I have a laptop with a disabled built-in display, and two external monitors connected to it. Disabling monitors so that it is only outputting to one monitor did not work, however, unplugging the two external monitors and using the internal laptop display works just fine, I just have to physically unplug the monitors.

My system:

• AMD Athlon 64-bit
  • AMD Ultimate Vision GPU w/ 1g DDR3
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • 4g Ram

Leads me to believe it is a problem related to dual monitors.