Raspberry Pi installation weirdness

I am trying to implement a Little Backup Box: ( https://chiselapp.com/user/dmpop/repository/little-backup-box/wiki?name=Little+Backup+Box ) which uses Blinkstick.

Following your instructions here: ( https://www.blinkstick.com/help/raspberry-pi-integration ) I was able to get blinks using the command line, until I rebooted to test the backup script. Now (and apparently on further reboots, as I have tried several times) when I issue a command on the command line, ‘even blinkstick --info’, it just pauses for a few seconds and returns to the command prompt with no feedback, no errors and no action.

Help? I am quite at a loss as to where to even start troubleshooting this.

I should add this is on a Raspberry Pi Zero running the latest Jessian

Does BlinkStick work if you plug it in and then unplug it?

No, but using a another boot card, I followed these instructions and command line works

Now to get the script working, and figure out if I can back out the bad instructions or if I just have to junk that install

and it’s back to no responce on the new build. It only seems to work on the reboot after install. Subsiquent reboots do not work. un plugging and plugging back in has no effect. niether does moving to a different USB port

Also, prior to install, the blinkstick would flash once on boot up. Now it does not. Nor doe is flash when first plugged in.

After installing this: http://4dc5.com/2012/06/12/setting-up-vnc-on-raspberry-pi-for-mac-access/

and then installing Blickstick, I get the following results and errors:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo blinkstick --info
Found device:
Manufacturer: Agile Innovative Ltd
Description: BlinkStick Nano
Serial: BS005408-3.0
Current Color: #000000
Mode: 2
LEDs: unsupported
Info Block 1:
Info Block 2:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ blinkstick --set-color=GREEN --brightness=50
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/blinkstick”, line 324, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/usr/local/bin/blinkstick”, line 213, in main
sticks = blinkstick.find_all()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blinkstick/blinkstick.py”, line 1497, in find_all
result.extend([BlinkStick(device=d)])
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blinkstick/blinkstick.py”, line 207, in init
self.open_device(device)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blinkstick/blinkstick.py”, line 750, in open_device
if self.device.is_kernel_driver_active(0):
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/core.py”, line 719, in is_kernel_driver_active
self._ctx.managed_open()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/core.py”, line 70, in managed_open
self.handle = self.backend.open_device(self.dev)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 733, in open_device
return _DeviceHandle(dev)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 618, in init
_check(_lib.libusb_open(self.devid, byref(self.handle)))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py”, line 571, in _check
raise USBError(_str_error[ret], ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
usb.core.USBError: [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions)
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

EDIT- I see, it is a permission error… sudo blinkstick --add-udev-rule and reboot solved it. On to the next test

1 Like

Hi scottfrey!
did you modified sth from the source code of Little Backup Box?