Music Visualization

I haven’t had a whole lot of time to seriously play around with it, but I figured out how to get some not-real-time music visualization going on this brand new BlinkStick Flex.

I used Sonic Visualizer with the Melodic Spectrogram layer and saved a couple copies of different areas of the spectrum, mixed them all together in GIMP and added some color to them, and then fed the whole thing into a simple python script to keep the animation and sound sync’d up.

The script (only tested on Linux):

[code]from PIL import Image
from blinkstick import blinkstick
from time import sleep, time
import subprocess

stick = blinkstick.find_first()

file = ‘/home/username/Documents/All on u.png’

img = Image.open(file)
(w,h) = img.size
im = img.load()

delay = 25 # 25ms = 40fps
subprocess.Popen([“play”, “/home/username/Music/AllOnU.mp3”])
start = int(round(time() * 1000))
curtime = start
last_led_time = start

print(curtime, delay, w)

while curtime-start < delay*w:
x = int((curtime-start)/25)
data = []
for y in range(h):
for col in range(3):
data.append(im[x,y][col])
curtime = int(round(time() * 1000))
if curtime - last_led_time < 20:
sleep((curtime - last_led_time)/1000)
stick.set_led_data(0, data)
last_led_time = int(round(time() * 1000))
print(“done”)
[/code]

Something’s not quite right about the script, though. The colors are off. I’ll have to play with it later to see where it’s going wrong, I think I have a good idea of where to look though.

The final image that I fed said script with (open it in a new tab):

It’s 8178x32, one horizontal pixel for each frame of the animation, and one vertical pixel for each LED.

Found this python library that works very well with the BlinkStick.

You just need to edit the main led_driver.py script so that it outputs as a straight list instead of a list of tuples. After that you can just feed it right into set_led_data. Works pretty okay, but it’s a bit slow.

1 Like

How do you set the output as a straight list?
or can you just upload the file?

You can check out some of the music visualizers I’ve made over here. I put a video up here on the forums as well.