BlinkStick enclosures

Still looking for good ideas for BlinkStick enclosures. Found a nice one today:

Edit: Sorry, it´s already under the projects: BlinkStick & Neopixel enclosure

Does anyone else have ideas? I have something like a cube in mind which steady shares the light (from a BlinkStick Square as example) in all directions.

I have a few work in progress designs in OpenScad. It was intended for smart pixel on a webcam mount, but I will update it to support BlinkStick Square. I designed BlinkStick Square with this sort of box in mind :smile:. Is this something you are looking for?

1 Like

It is excactly what I am looking for! :).
I´m going to deploy NotifierLight in the CallCenter I work in. I’m still not sure which device to use. At the moment the choise fall on Blync from Blynclight.com. Blync

With your squares (ordered 2 yesterday) I will give BlinkStick another chance. But I need a professional enclosure (also paperball resistant! ;-P).

If you let me know the size of the enclosure you need I can design it for you.

Thanks for your offer Arvy. I think about it but will test something by myself at first. And I don´t want to produce too many work for you. Wating for my Squares and then we will see.

Interesting topic! I find Blync too expensive (components worth $10), not particular good looking (wire clutter) and my employer generally distrust stuff from China. So I am having an SMD version of the BlinkStick Pro fabricated and I am attempting to design a 50cm flexible USB arm with a diffuser at the end - ready to just be plugged into a monitor USB hub. The software for Lync is already made and will land on GitHub soon, 100% compatible with a vanilla BlinkStick Pro (but my God I hate how Microsoft makes everything so darn complicated).

Looking forward to seeing the code! I’m sure that others will benefit from it! :smile:

I sometimes find Microsoft APIs and libraries a bit frustrating, but the documentation is flawless.

Yeah, Blync is very expensive. The design is not the very best, but we like it and the wires hiding behind the dividing walls (walls like in a cube farm). The light stays on top of the wall.
The flexible arm is a good idea, I’m using it with blink(1) from ThingM. But this is not a solution here in office.
Have a few weeks before we need the final solution. My focus is on BlinkStick Square for now.

Hey @casper_bang - I’d be very interested to see your code for that - I’m a Lync user at work and would like to use my BlinkStick to reflect Lync Status…

Cheers,
Jay.

As all of us probably do, I struggle with finding enough time for work, hobby and family - but I expect to write a blog entry and make a code drop this weekend (still a few bugs to iron out).

Mind you, I am developing against Lync 2010 (long story but basically Microsoft have a long and strict dependency chain of Windows+ServicePack+LyncSDK+VisualStudio+Lync) but I reckon it would be relatively easy to port to a later Lync/Lync SDK.

btw. I tried to modify arvydas’s BlinkStick Pro layout into pure SMT components but gave up on Eagle and decided to pay an indian guy $5 to do this modification. If arvydas did an SMT version I’d just pay him to get 10 tiny boards as I really have no intention of forking his great work. :slight_smile:

@casper_bang thanks for sharing your pain :wink: If you share your code I should be able to help you out to improve.

BTW, isn’t BlinkStick Square or BlinkStick Strip suitable for your needs? It’s essentially a BlinkStick Pro with 8 LEDs in either square or line all SMT based and very small.

I’ll try to see if I can get some code out tonight.

As to the board, as you know I contacted you a few weeks ago just as you were about to launch the Square and the Strip. While these look great, they are a tad expensive and feature-full for my need - I really just want to control one single RGB LED in as tiny and inexpensive a package as possible, essentially an SMD version of the BlinkStick Pro. It may sound like I am “real cheap” but part of my fascination with the ATTiny, is how much you can do with so very little - and price is obviously a factor in this equation.

I could do this myself (having played with the ATTiny a lot on breadboard) but it’s clearly smarter to engage an existing community like the BlickStick. So for now, I arrived at this layout: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4451927/lyncled.zip

Keep in mind, this was just intended for my own private production run of 10 boards or so. If I violate any creative commons clause (I did leave the credit in the schematic though) by posting this derivative work, I apologize and will of course comply with whatever action you and the licence require/recommend.

It would be cool of course, if you would review the layout and possibly advice a production facility or even make this SMT version available from your shop but I guess if you wanted to sell an SMT version of the Pro you would already have done one.

@casper_bang Never thought that there was a need for an SMT version of BlinkStick Pro :slight_smile: I’ll definitely think about it as I have a few things in mind regarding this. With BlinkStick Square and Strip I finally got into full SMT board production so I should be able to release more SMT based products.

The layout looks good. I would however use a ground plane for the bottom of the board as it makes a lot easier to route ground signals and acts as a shield for communication. USB 1.1 speeds are low so it’s still safe to use your layout. Would be interesting to know if it works for you.

As far as licensing is concerned, please remix as much as you need for your own personal needs.

Thanks for sharing this!

Yeah the ground plane should be filled, will look into this, thanks. :slight_smile: Also, thinking of using 4,7uF filter-cap instead of the 10uF.

My projects (those that finish anyway hehe) usually end up on my blog [http://blog.bangbits.com]. Will you be ok with me providing schematic and board-layout there, as long as I refer to the original source? Btw. while investigating this, I learned that the licensing link in your Eagle files point to a non-existing page: http://www.blinkstick.com/licensing

Yes, I even encourage you to share! Thanks for pointing this out regarding licensing link.

Awesome ideology. :slight_smile: You asked me why I needed smaller SMT version and other people are asking me why I don’t just buy a blinkM/blink(1). At $30 the blink(1) is just too pricey, but physically it’s exactly what I am looking for - small and easy to adapt to various things (I.e. on a stick with some Lync driver software). It occurs to me that you could, if you wanted to, offer your own version of a blink(1) type product for half the price. Then again, I’m just an amateur tinkerer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@casper_bang: Everybody starts as tinkerer and regarding me: I will never leave this status ;-). Your writings are very interesting, it is excactly what I were thinking about this. blink(1) is already a good device and I like the other ThingM stuff too. But 29 Euro for 1x blink(1) compared to 2x BlinkStick Square for ~32 Euro on sale…

@p0ke: If arvydas sold 2x BlinckStick Pro SMD version for ~30 Euro, I would just order 10, put them inside a ping-pong ball (great diffuser), buy cheap USB cords from ebay, dump the source code and move on to other things. Having said that, I am a little excited about having my first PCB manufactured - even if I did just minimize arvydas existing layout and change a few components. :wink:

PS: There are a surprising amount of people telling me how they would definitely purchase a minimalistic Lync light, so it may or may not stay at just 10 for very long.

@casper_bang drop me an email in case you’d like me to come up with a custom solution for you. I’m sure I would be happy to help :smile:

@casper_bang: Funny. I’m always using half ping-pong balls for my 8 LED NeoPixel rings. :smile: